Wednesday, September 17, 2014

6/21/14 Fastest Run of My Life!!

On June 21st, I ran my first real timed 10k. I ran a 10k in May with my SIL, but I didn't run it for time. I ran it with my son in a stroller and alongside my SIL who was having some knee issues. I told her I wasn't going to go ahead at all. We finished together, and it was fun to do that with my son as well. But this time, I ran with all I had and was shocked by how fast I finished!

My usual pace for a 10k (6.2 miles) is about 10 min per mile. And that's on a good day. I was hoping to finish this race in an hour or under. I had successfully practiced once at a 9:50 min per mile pace, so that is the best I had hoped for race day.

Before this particular race I had been leading a Bible Study called "Run for God." We met for a Bible Study and then we met to train for a 5k, and some for their first 10k. Much of the time I ran with them I was at a slower pace, because we would do intervals and stop to walk. But I enjoyed encouraging women to finish their first 5ks and 10ks. And I enjoyed sharing with them my personal journey of drawing closer to God through my time running and training for races.

Anyways, on race day my expectations were set and I headed out on my own. I wasn't running with anyone this time. It was my race to complete, and my time with God. I turned on my MP3 player, started out with some prayer, and just went as fast as my body wanted to go. I didn't turn on any GPS device, I didn't want to know how fast or slow I was going. I just wanted to do my best. Since this was my first timed 10k I knew that any finish time would be a PR for me anyways. I spent most of the race enjoying my music and worshiping God.

In this race you did the 5k loop twice. There was this long road with an incline that went for miles. Doing that portion the first time felt okay, but the second time was a challenge. But I managed to pass a few people that I had been behind the whole time the second time I went up this hill. The good part was, after you turned the corner a couple times you went DOWN the other way back to the start line. I guess it was during these down hill sections that I picked up some speed... I just can't figure it any other way!

On the final stretch to the finish line I thought a lot about the final finish line, death. (I know, sounds kind of morbid. But it was good!) I thought about the day I would see my Mom and my brother Paul again. I thought about all the saints in Heaven waiting there to cheer me on as I crossed that final line. I thought about how I yearned for that day to come, and yet how it was my time to stay here on earth and be used by God. He's not done with me yet, and I will remain here until He says its my time to come home to Him. And as I ran to the finish line the song, "Victor's Crown" was playing.  Appropriate, I thought.

When I got my official time I was floored!! I ran this race at an 8:31 min per mile pace!!! I placed 3rd in my age group! Granted there were only 14 women in my age group, but still! I have never placed or won a medal before! I thought that was very cool! My fastest pace is doing one mile in barely under 8 min. But that's about it for that speed. My fastest 5k is around 9:30 min per mile. So, is this what happens when you give your running to God? Thank you Lord for this extra little bonus blessing! It would have been more than enough to just have my class graduate and be proud of themselves!

I wore my "Run for God" shirt that day, and there were about 15 other women there wearing their's from my Bible Study. I can only hope that others were somehow impacted by our group and seeing our shirts. There was one man who approached me because he wanted to know how to start a "Run for God" group at his church. So, I guess there will be a sort of "paying it forward" type of impact from that day. Praise God!

No comments:

Post a Comment