Wednesday, September 17, 2014

9/13/14 Divine Running Appointment

But, “Let the one who boasts boast in the Lord.” For it is not the one who commends himself who is approved, but the one whom the Lord commends. 2Cor10:17-18


This blog entry is all about God, it's not about me. It's about how God used me. I am a vessel. I am not intending any of this to be boasting, but pray that my words only point your eyes towards Him, the one who orchestrated all these events in His infinite and glorious wisdom. I can only share a glimpse of His glory, God is far more amazing than even my words can say.


Earlier this week I received an email that said a story I submitted to the Run for God people has been chosen for their new devotional book, volume one. The story I submitted was about my marathon, which I shared a part of on my blog  26.2 Done!!!!! It's about not putting God in a box, not limiting what He is able to do in your life. As you can see the banner above, it will be available to purchase in November. I am not getting paid for this, but I am getting 10 free books! Yayyy! I can't wait to read it and share with others. I have been praying about the books, and who I should give them to. I can't wait to figure that all out. I am sure God has a plan.

Today I woke up at 6am for my regular Saturday morning run with my faith based running group, "RunningFriends4Life." I had just purchased a shirt from one of our members who is a graphic artist. She designed the group's logo and made me a shirt that says, "Run for God" on the back.
I wore that shirt this morning. When I got to our meet up spot there was a new lady there. Later she told me she saw the back of my shirt and said to herself, "Now that's a lady who gets me." Little did I know this new gal and I had a divine appointment this fine Saturday morning. (I Googled the phrase "Divine appointment" and found this definition: A divine appointment is a meeting with another person that has been specifically and unmistakably ordered by God. And that is what this was.)

Interesting side note: My brother is in town from the East Coast. He was thinking of joining me on this run. But he said last night that he wasn't really feeling that he would be ready to go this morning. He also would have only been able to hang with me for at most 3 miles, and our group generally runs about 6 miles every weekend... sometimes more. I was willing to just do 3 with him and go home. Or run home from the park and let him leave early. But, he didn't go. And I think this turned out to be a part of God's plan. Perhaps what happened next would never have even taken place.

Back to the story... This new gal, Dolly, asked what everyone's pace was. She was worried she was too slow. I said I run around a 10min pace on average, sometimes faster, but I didn't mind running with her if she was slower. She said she was a similar pace. The rest of the group is a tad faster, but I told her we are really good about not leaving anyone behind and that everyone waits for the last person to finish before leaving. And if someone is in the back alone, another person will go out and run with them to the end. Its a really supportive group. So, we headed off down the trail and as we chatted I decided to share with her that I was a Run for God Bible study leader and that I had this story that got accepted into a devotional. I told her it was about my marathon and trusting God. She said, "Tell me about what happened with your marathon." So, I started to share my story (partly told in my blog entitled (Music, Meditation, and Messages) and as I went along she was stunned. She said, "That's what is going on with me right now!" She is training for a marathon and she has been facing injuries. Hip problems, a foot issue, and a back problem. She was getting mixed messages, as I was, about whether to run the marathon or not. She said that her runs are really a time for her to spend with God and she wants to do her first marathon, with the goal of just finishing. She said it's about finishing what she started, and about her time with God. I absolutely understood where she was coming from. As she spoke I got goose bumps on my arms and my hairs were on end.

She didn't want the group to know she was training for a full, since she hadn't been running and wasn't even sure she would be doing it, and she was getting over injury etc. She also wasn't sure about sharing her reasons for running, such as spending time drawing closer to God and relying on Him for her strength and provision etc. But after I shared with her my story she felt relieved, and felt a sense that this was why she met with our group to run that day. We both agreed that this was God's plan.

I believe there is a Devil, and I believe that his will is to interfere with anything that brings God glory. My marathon became less about me and my fundraising efforts, and more... no ALL, about God. Through this experience of sacrificing myself and my desires for God's will and plan I have seen God use this simple act, such as running, and turn it into a divine act. My runs have been used to encourage, witness, and inspire others for Christ. They have also deepened my own walk with Christ. Those are things that the Devil is not happy with. I believe that often times these ailments (sore back, knee problems, hip problems, foot aches) are ways for Satan to try and thwart our plans, and derail us. But God is bigger and stronger than our enemy. And if we truly desire to seek after God and His ultimate will for our lives, then we can and will overcome the plans of the Evil One and see God use even the simplest things for His glory.

I'm not saying running a marathon is a "simple thing," but I told her that it is a lie that we all hear (as runners) that we must run the entire marathon distance. If her goal is simply to finish it, as was my goal, then she does not need to feel bad at all about stopping and walking once in a while. It is possible to walk an entire marathon. Many walkers have learned to "power walk" at a 15 min/mi pace. If you run at all, you are already ahead of the game. Every time you run you are ahead of the road closure cut off. If you have to walk, walk as fast as you can to keep a good pace. And when you feel you can run again, run. It's that simple. And you can finish your marathon.

She felt encouraged. I shared my PR half marathon pace was 10min/ mi before I ran the marathon. She said that is exactly her PR time! I shared about the electrolyte problem during my marathon and shared with her a good game plan on how to be prepared with food, water, and electrolytes during the race. I felt happy to share what I learned to make her race more successful. If I weren't out of town on the day of the race she is doing I would be very inclined to go to the race that day and be there on the sidelines to cheer her on at mile 16 or 18 or something like that. (As well as my other running friends that will be doing the half and the full.) But, if that were the Lord's will I am sure He would have made a way. But that weekend I will be with my daughter on an American Heritage Girls camping trip, which I decided is more important that running another race or standing on the sidelines to cheer on my running buddies.

I prayed with Dolly before she left. And thus ends the story of my divine appointment. I think this would be a good story to add to the speech/ testimony I will be giving to a ladies group at my church in November. Which I think is very cool that it happened to be booked for the month that the Run for God devotional comes out. If we give over what we love to God, to be used for His purposes, then look what could happen! He could use YOU as a vessel, to share His love and purpose with another person. AMEN! Praise God! To God be the glory!

(Thank you for being so amazing, Lord. And for choosing me as your vessel, I am honored and blessed.)

P.S. I will be giving Dolly one of the 10 books. I am certain she is one of the people that this book has been intended for. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment